Monday, November 17, 2014

Broccoli Stem Supper

 This summer we planted and grew a lot of what I thought would turn out to be broccoli. I'm not sure what the plant actually is, but we ate a lot of what grew regardless!
Since I thought it was broccoli I looked up early in the growing season that the leaves could be eaten while the plant matured, and we did a lot of taco shelling with it's large, hearty, fibrously lengthy oval greens.
Out of these I would cut the long tough stem and usually feed them to our birds, who would also reject them as feed! Tonight I tried something new and I regret not experimenting sooner. Instead of discarding the stems, I cleaned and chopped them and added them to our soup.
Oh yum! As the stems softened, they added a fragrance to the air that mixed well with the chicken stock, made from carrots, onions and poultry juices. The softening also rendered them nearly potato like in texture and flavor, an entirely pleasant surprise!
Now that winter is here, I have finally seen a little frozen broccoli flower on one plant. I'll be looking for it to seed again next year, now that I have some better ideas on how to use it.




No comments:

Post a Comment