Thursday, July 24, 2014

Blackberry Pie Time

This is a magical time of year- the noxious weed called Blackberry suddenly becomes laden with huge, thumb sized berries just waiting to be consumed. Forget your picking jar and you'll feel compelled to collect them in your mouth!
We brought in a couple handfuls and I tossed them into my 6" Longaberger ceramic pie plate with a yummy albeit dry coconut crust. Made with two eggs, coconut oil, and coconut flour, it wasn't terrible crust by far, and soaked up the berry juice deliciously. Pressed into the dish and then baked for less than ten minutes, allowed to cool, and then filled to the top with fresh berries and the most minute sprinkling of coconut sugar. Its hard to go wrong in taste when there is so much coconut yumm added!
I then sprinkled the remaining crust globs onto the top if the pie and baked it all until golden. Ir was truly yummy and I had to get my fork up to defend against prying fingers trying to eat it all! I was saving it for breakfast, but late that night the siren call of those dark purple- black berries invited me to eat roughly half before retiring to bed.
A few things that might have taken this from yummy to tummy even faster ... perhaps placing the berries directly into the pie crust. Heating and reducing them - and of course adding more berries and or sugar couldn't have hurt! The crust could have been improved as well probably, but it was edible and within my paleo eating preferences.
Get out your pickin' jars, break out the pie tins, and welcome the  abundance of my favorite summer delight - the Blackberry!


Scent On the Go-
www.PartyLite.Biz/AnnasCandles
Let me give you 10 dozen candles free in July!

No comments:

Post a Comment