Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Yard To Table Chicken Dinner




Sustainable farming is growing in popularity, and on our farm we are enjoying a bounty of fresh vegetables and this week, chicken. Raising birds is, well, for the birds, but when I pull that fresh roasted chicken from the oven for my family, its worth all my husbands hard work. From the yard to the table, it averages about three hours. Now that's what I consider FRESH.
    This summer we have chickens, both meat birds and egg- layers, geese, ducks of two varieties, and turkeys. Some of the disadvantages of having our various flocks include : poop,  feathers and bird dust constantly swirling in the air, and the actual butchering itself. Looking at what I've written, one might assume bird poop is swirling in the air, and honestly sometimes it seems to be. Wherever we don't want to walk in it, there it seems to be!

    Some of those feathers are being incorporated on craft projects. When I saw stamped goose feathers at Michaels, I had to get in on that action. Rainier even taught her dad this technique in a recent class in our craft room.
The butchering so far has fallen entirely on Rays (strong) shoulders. Im afraid that being involved at that level will ruin me on eating the meat, and so far Ive been lucky enough to be hard at work watching the children while the er, cleaning happens. He has not only impressed me with his butchering skills, but his coop building skills are way cool too. Thank you YouTube! Seriously, you can find how to make just about anything on there.
    Advantages that have me looking forward to more bird raising include sharing their caretaking with our girls. I love seeing them looking intently into their coops as well as hearing the names and stories they come up with about their feathered friends. So far, only one turkey has a name, and his story will need to be shared in anothr post. Knowing our food is free of commercial antibiotics, bleach, etc is an amazing benefit and Im sure enhamces the flavor mentally as well.
Another benefit is that we can make plenty of our own chicken stock. Added to the many soup-like dishes we consume, it's full of flavor- and good ol' healthy fats. Sometimes Ray will even take a mason jar full with him to work for when his stomach is rumbling on the job. Better than a candy bar!
We save all of the bones, cartilage, feet, and extra fatty bits in a freezer bag, and then throw it all in the crockpot for a full day to cook down. Drain off some of the juice and refill with water again to soak out all the yum you can if you're trying this at home. The fat layer that accumulates on the top once it's cool is especially good when used as oil in a pan of- warmed up chicken!
I never would have imagined I would be growing up to live on a farm, full of animals who aren't just backyard pets. Interestingly enough, I find myself enjoying it... especially at the supper table :-)
Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Is there anything you can't do?! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina, the funny things is that I try to have as little to do with the fowl prepping as possible... I owe my dinners to Ray, awww!

    ReplyDelete