Monday, July 14, 2014

Strawberry Rhubard Paleo Muffins (without strawberries)


Got Bread?
Growing up Norwegian, I feel bread is an absolute must with every meal. Okay, maybe not every meal, and maybe not always bread, but definitely some sort of starchy goodie. My favorite restaurants are often judged by the quality of their bread before supper offerings! Probably the food item I crave most and resisted Paleo conformation because of is Bread. And now, friends, I am happy to say I have found the most delicious temptingly rich, don't eat too much of me or you may need a nap, muffin batter.
I know a muffin is not a bread, but it's darn close. I hoped that pouring it into a bread tin wouldn't waste all those homegrown eggs  (6!) down the chute because of non cook-ability, but I had no trouble cooking it thoroughly. Look at the perfectly browned crust and beautiful rich golden bread... yum!
So, this recipe called for so many eggs because it is made with half a cup of coconut flour, which is really dense and needs a lot of eggs to make anything with it. Quarter cup Coconut oil, teaspoon vanilla, half teaspoon cinnamon, half teaspoon baking powder, dash of sea salt, and three quarters cup finely chopped rhubarb cooked at 350 for 30 minutes and bam! I am the queen of the kitchen.
Now that I'm embracing the live fresh lifestyle, cooking all natural fresh foods daily and growing and harvesting veggies and all that, I guess I'm more open to flavors and experiencing. I decided to throw a handful of coconut flakes into the batter as well and they lent a delightful contrast and chew to each piece devoured. The recipe did call for strawberries and that would have been adding pure joy. These were plenty sweet though, so strawberries weren't missed at all.
Next time I may try some tart apples and raisins, too. I didn't have cupcake liners, that's why I tried the bread tin.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment